God has been working on me in the gratitude area for a couple of years now, constantly reminding me of the importance of turning my heart to Him in thanksgiving. This morning, He reminded me through a devotional in Nancy Leigh DeMoss’s The Quiet Place. Here is her exhortation at the end of today’s reading:
Take a few moments to focus on and enumerate the mercies you have received from His hand since waking up this morning.
Well, I took her up on that and made a quick list of those new mercies that He’s given me since 5:45 this morning (in no particular order):
- life — I woke up!
- a comfortable home
- electricity & hot water
- a selection of clothes to wear
- hot tea
- internet/technology that connects me to others
- His written Word in my language
- the ability to read
- godly teachers/books
- quiet, uninterrupted time with Him
- a job to get ready for
- healthy children
- my church
- my small group that meets tonight & the material we’re studying together
- His relentless pursuit of my sanctification
- a refrigerator and pantry filled with food
- a reliable car
That’s just a quick pass at it! Oh, He’s good to me! How about you? What new mercies can you thank him for this morning?