On this first day of a three-day weekend, I’m starting off with coffee and books in bed. I’ve read the local paper (via iPad), done some of my read-through-the-Bible plan, caught up on social media, and finished The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I’m late to the party on that one, and now I know why it has mixed reviews. Truly, you could scan it for the bold print tips, but then you’d miss the parts where she bids thank you and farewell to her castoffs. Clearly, Marie Kondo and I have different worldviews. For instance, I don’t believe inanimate objects have feelings, and she believes objects aren’t really inanimate. The cultural differences are evident, too. Having lived in Japan, Europe, and Hawaii, I’m aware of the space and storage differences in housing. We Americans take so much for granted, and I think Kondo takes for granted certain facts of living in Japan. (I will not put my clean dishes outside to dry, thank you.) Also, she mentions stockings throughout the book. Those are not at all a storage issue for me. 😉
The book has inspired me, however, to tackle my closet today. At her suggestion, I plan to take all of my clothes out, only putting back the items that I truly wear and like. She advises asking of each piece, “Does this bring me joy?” If the answer is no, she thanks the pieces that don’t make the cut.
I won’t be talking to my clothes today, but I will be listening to podcasts as I work. These are currently in my listening rotation:
- Up and Vanished – in the Serial genre, this one follows a cold case up the road in Georgia.
- The West Wing Weekly – I’m ahead of this one in my re-watching of The West Wing, but I still enjoy the commentary and interviews.
- VeryPink Knits – this one is new to me, and I’m learning a lot.
- GLoP Culture – the only political podcast I’m listening to these days (if you don’t count West Wing Weekly)
- The 365 with Will Malone – my son Will and his friend Kenneth talk about books, art, and what the kids are up to these days
- What Should I Read Next? – The Modern Mrs. Darcy’s weekly podcast
- From the Front Porch – a weekly podcast from the owner of The Bookshelf in Thomasville, Georgia
And now I have questions: What projects do you have planned this weekend? What are your favorite podcasts? What are you reading?
Happy Saturday y’all!